What is social media?
Websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or promote or participate in social networking.
Mobile social media refer to the use of social media on mobile devices such as smartphones and computers. Mobile social media are a useful application of mobile marketing because the creation, exchange, and circulation of user-generated content can assist companies with marketing research, communication, and relationship development.
Social media is the collective of online communications channels dedicated to community-based input, interaction, content-sharing and collaboration. Websites and applications dedicated to forums, microblogging, social networking, and wikis are among the different types of social media.
Here are some examples
- Facebook is a popular free social networking website that allows registered users to create profiles, upload photos, and video, send messages and keep in touch with friends, family, and colleagues.
- Twitter is a free microblogging service that allows registered members to broadcast short posts called tweets. twitter allows Users to write limited numbers of the word in their tweets. Twitter members can broadcast tweets and follow other users’ tweets by using multiple platforms and devices.
- Google+ (no more) was Google’s social networking project, designed to replicate the way people interact offline more closely than is the case in other social networking services. This website is no longer offered to new users and plans to shut down remaining accounts in 2019.
- Wikipedia is a free, open content online encyclopedia created through the collaborative effort of a community of users known as Wikipedians. Anyone registered on the site can create an article for publication; however, registration is not required to edit articles.
- LinkedIn is a social networking site designed specifically for the business community. The goal of the site is to allow registered members to establish and document networks of people they know and trust professionally.
- Reddit is a social news website and forum where stories are socially curated and promoted by site members. The site is composed of hundreds of sub-communities, known as “subedits.” Each subedits has a specific topic such as technology, politics or music. Reddit site members, also known as, “radiators,” submit content that is then voted upon by other members. The goal is to send well-regarded stories to the top of the site’s main thread page.
- Pinterest is a social curation website for sharing and categorizing images found online. Pinterest requires brief descriptions but the main focus of the site is visual. Clicking on an image will take you to the source. For example, clicking on a picture of a pair of shoes might redirect users to a purchasing site and an image of blueberry pancakes might redirect to the recipe.
You Must Be Active on Social Media
One of the biggest mistakes retailers make is to open up accounts on every social media platform they think is not relevant and then leave them alone with no activity. Having an account with any of the social platforms does not mean your business is into social media. users are turned off by the retailer who opens accounts and does not engage with clients and the public and consequently become labeled a pretender. The reality is, it is better to not have a social media icon on your website if you are not going to actively engage with it—and actively means daily.
- social media is about conversations, community, connecting with the audience and building relationships with them.
- Authenticity, honesty and open dialogue are key.
- Social media not only allows you to hear what people say about you but enables you to respond. Listen first, speak second.
- Be compelling, useful, relevant and engaging. Don’t be afraid to try new things, but think through your efforts before kicking them off.
Importance of social media
It Shows The World Who You Are, With social media, you have the opportunity to highlight all the best aspects of your business with one click.
What information would you like to share which is most useful for your potential and current clients to have easy access to them?
Social platforms provide an opportunity to legitimatize your brand. and allows you to demonstrate your expertise in a variety of ways along with the ability to write staff bios, share posts and produce content that can creatively highlight your company’s core values, brand voice and unique qualities that your services provide.
The importance of social media in business is growing at warp speed. With more and more people joining social media sites and using them regularly/efficiently, the social media industry is bound to become bigger in the coming years. It’s booming like never before.No, the social media wave isn’t ending anytime soon. And your business should take advantage of it if you want it to survive.
With such amazing growth, every business today needs to leverage proper social media channels in the best possible way. Not because it’s the “in thing”, and not because it sounds simple, but because their target audience is hanging around the popular social networks. And they’re engaging with their favorite brands and connecting with them on different levels.
By giving your business brand the social media touch, you not only generate more business but also connect with your customers better and serve them on a higher level.
Here are some more social media statistics that prove beyond doubt the importance of social media in business. Your business needs to leverage sites like Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn to keep up with the competition.
- According to 2019 social media statistics, there are now 3.2 billion users around the globe. That is about 42% of our total present population.
- 68% of adults based in the U.S reportedly have a Facebook account.
- Active social media users are composed of 48.2% Baby Boomers, 77.5% Generation X and 90.4% Millennials.
- Interesting research shows that a user spends an average of 2 hours and 22 minutes in his social media account every day including messaging.
- 73% of online marketers agree that their efforts in implementing a social media marketing strategy for their business have been effective.
- More than 2 million businesses today use Facebook advertising for promoting their products and services.
What and Why Social Media?
What is marketing? As highlighted by the AMA, Marketing is the activity and process for creating; communicating and delivering offerings that have value to customers.
Now, look at social media marketing. Social Media Today argues that the purpose of social media marketing is to build a brand and increase a brand’s visibility, through building relationships and communicating with potential customers.
‘‘Social networks are one of the fastest-growing industries in the world’’.
This statement does seem to be thrown around quite frequently with anything internet marketing related these days. However, with a projected 25.0% annual growth over the next 5 years, it is time to start investing in social media if you haven’t already. This is so important we’ve added a fancy tweet-this box below…. partly to show off, to make it easy for you to share it!
Benefits of Social Media Marketing
For some of you, investing in a social media marketing service may have been identified as the missing link connecting you with your consumers. However, for the others, who are still contemplating driving into the social marketing end, look no further than the following facts.
Social media marketing increases brand awareness. 78 % of small businesses use social media to attract new customers. Furthermore, 33% of customers have identified social media as to how they identify new brands products and services.
Social media marketing helps to validate your brand. A company’s social media presence, when done correctly, tells consumers that their brand is active and focused on thriving communication with consumers. 63% of consumers who search for businesses online are more likely to use ones with an informative social media presence. Need more help on how to validate your brand? Check out our branding blog.
Social media marketing has the power to increase customer loyalty. 71% of consumers who received a quick response to the social networks would recommend the brand to others.
1: Leverage Social Advertising
Social media advertising may be the new kid on the block, but it’s growing faster than imagined. Take Facebook Ads for example. Even though the social network launched ads in 2005, it managed to reach 9.16B in ad revenue in the first quarter of 2017. This just goes on to show that social advertising is here to stay — for a long, long time.
As more and more businesses successfully experiment with digital advertising, they’re realizing that taking the social media advertising route makes total sense. Here’s why:
2: Boost Brand Awareness
Social media proves to be a powerful tool when it comes to growing your brand awareness. Some businesses dismiss it as a way to build a brand, but by doing that, they’re leaving an open ground for competitors. On the other hand, many reputable chief marketing officers agree that social media has a definite impact on brand awareness.
3: Increase Inbound Traffic
Inbound marketing is one of the most effective ways to generate targeted traffic to your website. It’s the kind of traffic that converts because it’s super relevant. However, if you leave you to ignore the importance of social media in business, you will be limited to your inner circle of customers or the people that are already familiar with your market or brand.
By putting in more effort in social media promotion, you create a whole new channel to draw in laser targeted inbound traffic and get more inbound links.
4: Improve Search Engine Optimization
Every seasoned social media marketer knows that there is some connection between social media and search engine optimization. While Google has clearly stated that it does take “social signals” into consideration when ranking a page, there’s more to it. active in the other channels helps to increase the SEO of the website. SEO is a very very important part of digital marketing. by improving the SEO of the site it helps to increase the traffic on websites
5: Increase Conversion Rates (ads)
Another importance of social media in business is the fact that it is great for capturing targeted leads for your business, but it doesn’t stop there. Getting quality leads is only one part of the equation. The other part is converting those into sales. Can social channels help you increase your conversion rates? Does it have the ‘x’ factor when it comes to giving you the ground to achieve more sales?
- Lower ad costs: When compared to traditional advertising methods such as print media, TV and radio advertising, ads are not only dependable but also cheaper. What’s more, you’re allowed to engage on various social channels for free before scaling with paid ads. You’re free to grow on your own, at your own pace.
- Targeted reach: Traditional advertising doesn’t give you the luxury to reach out to your target audience the way social media ads do. It simply doesn’t work that way. When you’re doing offline advertising, you’re taking the blind, shotgun approach where your returns are dismal even if you’re making big investments. Using ads you reach out to targeted prospects, increase your conversions and ultimately get a higher return on investment.
- Real-time performance analysis: Knowing if your ad is working or not is integral to improve it. When you’re doing any type of offline advertising, you’re unable to analyze the performance of your ad campaign. Which cripples massively cripples your efforts. ads, on the other hand, allow you to constantly keep track of how well (or how bad) your ad is performing. You’re able to change your ad on the fly and instantaneously see the results.